Come rebuild a great nation and share Christ with people who have yet to hear. Converge set a goal of atleast 10 volunteer teams to serve in Japan. Already 4 teams have been deployed to assist in Japan Disaster Relief. The next phase of rebuilding, evangelizing and church planting has just begun.
Builders and Carpenters Needed!
Our Converge Worldwide work in Ishinomaki has been removing mud and deconstructing homes damaged by the tsunami. One relief partner is Samaritan’s Purse which has a rebuilding program to rebuild over 100 homes by Christmas. The ministry is changing from removing the mud from homes to replacing the floors and walls that were removed. Along with general volunteers, we need builders and carpenters to come help us with the rebuilding phase. Specialized teams of carpenters can be formed or they can work in tandem with general volunteers. Orientation for this work will be provided. No need to bring any tools besides your tool belt.
Japan Disaster Response Volunteer Teams
All teams will work through the Japan Baptist Church Association (Rengo), our partner agency, for scheduling and deployment to the specific locations. A two-week commitment is expected, which includes orientation, 7 to 10 work days and debriefing/sightseeing in Tokyo.
- Teams will be involved in cleanup, construction projects, children’s programming, delivering supplies, rebuilding projects or other duties as needed.
- The time commitment is two weeks.
- Ideal team size is 2-10 members. Teams will be transported to the work site with necessary supplies.
- Individuals from Converge churches unable to send a full team are welcome to join another team or individual volunteers will be put together to form a full team.
- Each team will provide its own leadership for ease in communicating and coordinating efforts between Japan mission leadership and teams before and during the mission trip.
- Teams are self-funded. The on-site cost is $500/individual for basic food, shelter, supplies and ground transportation. These funds will be collected at time of team or individual registration. Airfare should be estimated at $1500/individual and teams/individuals are responsible for all air travel arrangements and costs.
- Team members need to be physically fit adults (over age 18), able and prepared to do heavy lifting and to deliver supplies.
- Team members must be able to endure various living situations. Disaster area on-site housing may be very primitive.
- Team members should be spiritually mature and able to handle sights and smells in a disaster zone.
- Each team member will sign a medical waiver and provide proof of medical insurance.
- Some Japanese language ability is desired among one or more team members.
Converge’s Japan Mission will provide pre-arrival team preparation for the team’s church, basic housing in the Tokyo area for arriving teams, orientation, training, assistance in outfitting and locating transportation before deployment, and will secure people with Japanese language ability for teams that would require it.
All Converge Worldwide missionaries are living and working in areas that are reported safe. Since the nuclear accident this situation has been monitored carefully. The U.S. Embassy in Tokyo has issued an evacuation order for U.S citizens within an 80 kilometer (50 mile) radius of the plant. This order will be followed at all times by all Converge teams. Water and food supplies are safe. Radiation levels will be monitored continuously to insure the safety of all Converge personnel and mission teams. Currently, radiation levels at previous worksites are at normal background levels.
Can't go to Japan but you still want to help?
- Please pray for God to raise up willing workers to go to Japan.
- Please make a gift using the form to the right to help others go.