The ordination process begins and ends with a leader called by God to the Gospel ministry. It also involves the recognition of this call by the local church where the leader is serving. But the Converge family of churches and church leaders are also involved in advising the church and in serving the ordination candidate. Thus the ordination process is detailed below for Converge churches and leaders:
Steps to Ordination
From the Perspective of the Candidate and Church:
- The formal church vote informs the Converge regional leadership of its desire to ordain a candidate.
- The Converge regional staff sends the handbook on ordination to the candidate and the ordaining church.
- The Candidate completes the reservation form and mails it to the Converge regional office.
- The Converge region mails a written confirmation of reservation to the candidate.
- At least one month before the interview, the candidate mails six copies of his doctrinal statement to the Converge regional staff. E-mail is acceptable.
- The Converge region mails a copy of the doctrinal statement to the current members of Ordination Guidance Committee in the appropriate area.
- The Ordination Guidance Committee interviews the candidate and writes a letter of advice to the ordaining church with a copy to the candidate.
- If the advice is to postpone convening an ordination council, the candidate may reserve another interview during the next scheduled meeting of the Ordination Guidance Committee.
- Upon receipt of letter of advice to convene a council, the ordaining church schedules the council and invites delegates from sister churches.
- The Council meets and recommends that the church proceed or not proceed with ordination.
From the Perspective of the Ordination Guidance Committee:
- A church requests help with ordination.
- The Converge region leadership responds with the attached handbook.
- The candidate reserves an interview time.
- The Converge region confirms the interview time.
- The candidate prepares and sends doctrinal statement.
- The Converge region distributes doctrinal statement.
- The Ordination Guidance Committee reviews, interviews and advises.
- The church acts to ordain proposed candidate.